Contact Us


Call, email, fill out the form below, or even stop by to see us to find out something...

* required

Hickory Crossing


Building History

The Hickory Crossing building consists of three buildings all connected as one. The location of the building is at the furthest most point to both the SW line and the NE line of the City of Hickory. Hickory’s Streets (and Avenues) and railroad are what break the city up into the four quadrants NW, NE, SW, and SE. Most believe that the highway 127 split the city into east and west, and that is kind of true, because (Hwy) 127 turns into 2nd St NE but later forks to the right while 127 continues straight (crossing under the railroad). Once you cross the railroad tracks 2nd St NE then becomes 2nd St SE. The railroad splits the city North to South. Therefore, the Hickory Crossing building is located the most north in the SE quadrant with the railroad crossing directly in front of the building and 2nd St (SE) crossing directly to the west of the building. While in the loft of the building you can see all four quadrants of the beautiful city of Hickory.

Being near the railroad, made the Hickory Crossing building very important property for the location alone. According to the town’s historian and the catawba county deeds, The Hickory Crossing building was built between April 1919 and October 1925. At that time is was home to Kenyon Woodworking Company, Inc., a piano bench manufacturing business. Over the years it has been bought and sold and the home to all different kinds of businesses. In 1931 it was home to RG Abernethy who owned Abernethy Transfer Company (a transportation company), who, during that time was operating with six trucks, and five teams of horses. It has been said that at one time the Hickory Crossing building was a small part of several buildings that made up the Catawba Creamery (JW Shurford). The Creamery was a business that supported the local dairy and egg farmers, marketing all the way to New York City. The Hickory Crossings building is rich with history, and much of that being the business that called it home. The Hub is the continuation of the history of the Hickory Crossing building, by supporting local small businesses and allowing room from growth.

Today the train still runs everyday multiple times a day, and at The Hub we embrace the train. It is apart of the history of the Hickory Crossing building and the city itself. As new technology engulfs our daily lives, we occasionally use the trains passing us by as a reason to get up from our work and stretch and walk around. No smart watch needed!